A symbol version patch for glibc 2.x compatibility

Ulrich Drepper drepper@redhat.com
Sun Nov 12 10:26:00 GMT 2000

Ian Lance Taylor <ian@zembu.com> writes:

> Where is the standard which we can read to understand the proper
> meaning of EI_OSABI?  The one which says that it would actually be
> incorrect to set the field to ELFOSABI_LINUX on a GNU/Linux system?

Even the text which was quoted says the field is used to discriminate
files with OS specific interpretation.

> Just for fun, I did try it, and it worked fine, on Red Hat 6.1 using
> Linux 2.2.12-32 and glibc 2.1.3.

Try again, but this time let ld.so do the work.  The kernel is very
weak in that it tests only very few fields.  Run ldd on your new
binary or generate a DSO.