A very "strange" bug in gcc 2.96

Ian Lance Taylor ian@zembu.com
Tue May 23 09:50:00 GMT 2000

   Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 21:37:48 -0700
   From: Richard Henderson <rth@cygnus.com>

   On Mon, May 22, 2000 at 02:07:07PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
   > What platforms are those?  (The MIPS requires PIC if you want to any
   > dynamic linking at all, but I'm not aware of any platform which
   > requires PIC for shared objects and only for shared objects.)

   Sparc, Alpha, and IA-64 at a minimum adjust the compiler's notion
   of the appropriate name binding rules depending on -fpic.

In what way, other than the recently introduced optimization?  I'm
genuinely curious.

Putting symbols in different sections doesn't count, as that is merely
an efficiency issue.

Ian