bfd/peigen.c problems and fix

Alan Modra alan@linuxcare.com.au
Sun May 7 17:39:00 GMT 2000


On Sun, 7 May 2000, Szabolcs Szakacsits wrote:

> On Thu, 4 May 2000, Alan Modra wrote:
> 
> >   Martin Kahlert pointed out that mingw32 is broken, and has been
> > for quite a while.  I also managed to get some segv's from objdump -p 
> > on pei files.  Since this problem seems to be in some of your code,
> > would you mind looking over my fix?
> 
> Hi, I still get segmentation faults on NT dll's with your fix. A few
> weeks ago I also sent a patch for peigen.c but probably it was too
> broken since nobody responded. Below is an improved and cleaned up

Nobody responding doesn't necessarily mean there was something wrong with
your patch.  It's more likely just a result of lack of time and interest
on the part of binutils maintainers who know pei.  I didn't look over your
patch simply because I don't really know pei that well.

> version but I'm not a bfd expert and also don't know how MS messes up
> with pei from time to time. With this patch objdump -p just works for
> every [quite a lot] Win9x and NT exe's and dll's that I tried [only on
> Intel].

Your patch looks good to me.  I have to take the changes to fields that
were previously marked reserved on trust, as I don't know enough about
Windows and NT.

> It's also interesting why objdump gives 'File format not recognized'
> for some pei files that were recognized by older versions ...

I'm not surprised by this comment.  Are you interested enough to find out
why?  I'll do what I can to see that any fixes you make aren't ignored.

Regards, Alan Modra

-- 
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.





More information about the Binutils mailing list