GAS copyright update

David O'Brien obrien@NUXI.com
Wed May 3 12:49:00 GMT 2000

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 04:40:21PM +1000, Alan Modra wrote:
> Applied.  Release branch too.

I looked at the website, but didn't see the branching/release paradigm
Binutils uses (ie, FreeBSD has both a -CURRENT (trunk) and multiple
-STABLE branches (RELENG_{4,3,22}).  Features enter on the trunk and only
if highly tested and stable can they even be candidates for committing to
a -STABLE branch.  Users expect -STABLE branches to change slowly, so
many things that could be back ported aren't to keep from disturbing
deployed servers.

Can you take a moment and explain it?

I am in the process of updating FreeBSD's Binutils.  Typically I only use
released code for contributed code.  However as you know the latest
Binutils release is 1.5 years old.  I now have to figure out what to
import from anoncvs or an FTP'ed snapshot (and what date is a stable
Binutils).  A requirement in FreeBSD's Binutils upgrade is IA-64 support.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)