AIX4.3.2: problem with 64-bit .o's

Bleser, Pascal PBleser@atos-group.com
Thu Mar 23 04:51:00 GMT 2000

Hi ;)

I've downloaded the latest snapshot of the GNU binutils from
sourceware.cygnus.com and built them on a AIX 4.3.2 box (IBM F50).

Now ar works (with binutils 2.9.1, the new "big format" archives
were not supported), but nm complains about not recognizing 64-bit
object files (all those *_64.o-files) - it rather looks like warnings,
because nm goes on and works properly for 32-bit obj-files.
But after having a look at the bfd code for RS6000, it looks like
64-bit-objs *are* supported (yes, I've also tried building the bfd
with --enable-64bit-bfd: it didn't help :( )...

Is there anyone on this list working on AIX 4.3.2 who could give me
some help and share his/her experiences ?
We're using loats of GNU tools (especially the GCC 2.95.2 compiler
set for C and C++) on our boxes and it's really a big, big problem
if we can't get it to work properly.

Although, at first, it doesn't look like a big problem: all the obj-files
are shipped in 32 (foo.o) *and* 64 (foo_64.o) bit format in all the
AIX archives. But I didn't try gdb nor g++ yet... :\

BTW, what does the statement
"   # The configure and build of ld are currently disabled because
    # GNU ld is known to be broken for AIX 4.2 and 4.3 (at least)
    # The symptom is that GDBtk 4.18 fails at startup with a segfault
    # if linked by GNU ld, but not if linked by the native ld."
mean in binutils-000322/configure.in ?

thanks for any help...

--
  -o)  Pascal Bleser        | Those who  do  not  understand
  /\\  C++/UNIX Development | Unix are condemned to reinvent