Sorting entries in dynamic relocation

Andreas Jaeger aj@suse.de
Wed Mar 8 10:02:00 GMT 2000

Koundinya> Hi again,
Koundinya> Andreas Jaeger wrote:

>> > Hi Ian,
>> >     The current mips code, It looks like the sorting of the entries in
>> > the dynamic relocation section is not being done. This is important for
>> > the dynamic linker I suppose. Especially when shared libs are generated
>> > that contain dynamic relocations.
>>
>> > The MIPS ABI says that:
>>
>> > (Chapter 5, Pg 5-14)
>>
>> > The entries in the dynamic relocation section must be ordered by
>> > increasing r_symndx value.
>>
>> > In case I need to put some code for this, where could this probably fit
>> > into ?.
>>
>> AFAIR that's only needed for Quickstart - but AFAIK the linker doesn't
>> support Quickstart and therefore the ordering contstraint is not
>> needed.

Koundinya> Hmm...I don't think so. The MIPS-ABI says that to take advantage of
Koundinya> Quickstart functionality the .dynsym and .rel.dyn section must obey ordering
Koundinya> constraints.

Koundinya> But again  if we forget about Quickstart, under relocations ( Pg 5-13 and
Koundinya> 5-14) no such thing is mentioned.
Koundinya> It is mentioned as if it is mandatory for the dynamic relocation section to
Koundinya> be ordered.

Koundinya> Moreover these things mostly matter to the dynamic linker.

You're right - I've looked up the wrong paragraph.  Sorry for the
confusion.

Andreas

--
 Andreas Jaeger