Ok to change so a target can define RELOC_..._BITS_...?

Hans-Peter Nilsson hans-peter.nilsson@axis.com
Mon Mar 6 11:46:00 GMT 2000


> Date: 6 Mar 2000 13:22:16 -0500
> From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@zembu.com>

> ... And why don't the existing
> macros work?

Sorry, I didn't answer this one.  The reason is that the relocs
have a kind-of-but-not-exactly big-endian bit-layout, for
reasons that became historical and a compatiblility issue before
it could be harmonized with BFD:

#define RELOC_EXT_BITS_EXTERN_LITTLE 0x80
#define RELOC_EXT_BITS_TYPE_LITTLE 3
#define RELOC_EXT_BITS_TYPE_SH_LITTLE 0

>  Mind you, I don't know what CRIS is.

A 32-bit embedded CPU core.  For those interested, there's
related info at <URL: http://developer.axis.com/ >.

> (By the way, as you probably know, EXT means ``extended,'' not
> ``external.'')

Yeah, thinko; the offset is external to the actual code where
the reloc is applied.

> I'm surprised that you can use aout_link_input_section_ext as is if
> you have to change the macro definitions.

I guess the code was engineered to be generic enough; it seemed
it was just an oversight that include/aout/aout64.h
unconditionally defined the layout macros.

brgds, H-P


More information about the Binutils mailing list