[patch] ld/Error reporting when commons are different sizes.

Philippe De Muyter phdm@macqel.be
Fri Mar 3 04:50:00 GMT 2000

Ian Lance Taylor wrote :

> If I read this correctly, this patch changes the linker to by default
> give an error if two common symbols have a different size.  That is
> not acceptable.  Common symbols routinely have different sizes when
> linking Fortran programs.

I am probably late on this, but Ian is right : with pcc-based compilers,
functions returning struct's use a common zone (called __StRet on sysV68),
that, of course, as different sizes depending of the size of the returned
struct.  Yes, I know, those functions are not reentrant, but many useful
programs do not care about that.

Philippe