solaris27 + libstdc++-v3 + -static == core in ctype_char_members.c

Ian Lance Taylor ian@zembu.com
Thu Mar 2 09:42:00 GMT 2000


   Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 08:32:02 -0800
   From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@lucon.org>

   On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 02:55:48PM -0800, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:
   > 
   > I'm using the 2.9.1 binutils release with the gcc-2.95.2 sources. I've
   > updated libtool to be 1.3.4 but that doesn't seem to make a

   I won't use binutils 2.9.1 for anything. It is so buggy, especially
   on Sparc/ELF.

H.J. seems to like to make extreme statements like this.  Please try
to ignore them.  He does a disservice to the free software community
by spreading FUD without referring to actual facts.

To the best of my knowledge, the bugs he is referring to occur when
doing unusual things, which you are not, or were actually a bug in
some versions of the glibc SPARC dynamic linker, which does not apply
on Solaris.

Of course, trying your test case with the binutils development sources
is not a bad idea.  It might clarify whether you have a binutils
problem or a gcc problem.

Ian


More information about the Binutils mailing list