[rfc] For mips, sign-extended ecoff offsets

Andrew Cagney ac131313@cygnus.com
Fri Jun 23 00:28:00 GMT 2000

Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

>    I'd like to hear Ian's comments on this before you check it in.
>
> This is all due to a long-ago decision to ship support for a 64-bit
> MIPS chip using a 32-bit MIPS target.  I think that sign extending
> pdr.ADR is probably right, since that is how 32 bit addresses are
> treated by the relocation routines.

Yes.

>  But the real fix is to use a
> 64-bit MIPS target.

Kind of :-)  GDB can now be built to support (embedded only mind) the
debugging of a fairly arbitrary MIPS ABI on 64 bit MIPS targets.  For
instance, a single GDB executable can debug both ``gcc -mips2'' and
``gcc ...'' executables running on a 64 bit vr5000.  It might even
eventually support that behavour under IRIX :-)

Implementing this cleanly relies 32 bit MIPS addresses always being
correctly sign extended.  At present they are not and things are
suffering for it :-)

	enjoy,
		Andrew