Status of the ELF standard

Jason Eckhardt jle@cygnus.com
Fri Jul 28 16:10:00 GMT 2000

>Originally ELF was defined in
>the System V ABI documentation from AT&T. Is this still the only ELF spec in
>existence, or is there now some committee tending the ELF standard and
>registering new processors, extensions, revisions, etc?

  I believe that SCO is now the organization behind the ELF standard.
  As far as I know, the spec. is still actively maintained (active may be
  overstating it -- it isn't dead).

>Does this mean that there someone maintaining the ELF standard beyond the
>original spec
>in System V manuals? And what spec/version/etc. is the standard for the GNU
>Project and the Cygnus toolchain, if there is more than one? TIA for any clues.

  I think the latest draft was made in June of 2000. It hasn't changed
  drastically for some time. New architectures get added for the e_machine
  field now and then.