Unresolved symbols when linking i960 programs

Bill Marcotte bill@pentek.com
Fri Jul 28 08:45:00 GMT 2000

   I am seeing strange behavior when linking i960 programs in elf32 format
which reference symbols defined in the linker command file.  I have a
program which references bss_start, etext, bdata, edata.  When I try to link
it, the linker gives me an undefined symbol error for one or more of them.
If I change the order in which they are referenced in the code, it might now
find the previously undefined symbol, but be able to resolve another one.

   If I compile or assmeble the program with the coff version of the compile
and link it with the elf32 loader, all symbols are resolved.

   I believe there is something wrong in ld when linking prgrams in elf32
format which reference symbols defined in the linker command file.

   I am using gcc-2.95.2 with binutils-2.10  on both Windows NT and Solaris.

   Does anybody have any ideas where the problem might be?  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bill