$(build_tooldir)/lib (was Re: http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2000-05/msg01104.html)

H . J . Lu hjl@lucon.org
Fri Jul 21 15:49:00 GMT 2000

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 03:12:39PM -0700, Geoff Keating wrote:
> > cc: jason@redhat.com, hjl@lucon.org, aoliva@cygnus.com,
> >         gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org, binutils@sourceware.cygnus.com,
> >         angela@cygnus.com
> > Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 15:05:49 -0700
> > From: Jim Wilson <wilson@cygnus.com>
> >
> > 	I wouldn't try to do much work in this area for a bit.  Red Hat is
> > 	working on some major changes to how hostXhost toolchains work.
> >
> > Presumably this is the stuff that Brendan Kehoe started?  He did post a patch
> > 	   http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2000-01/msg00641.html
> > but the current stuff might be a bit different as that was 6 months ago.
> > It would be useful to know if this mechanism works for H.J. as he has his
> > own contraints that are rather different from ours.
>
> It's quite a bit changed from Brendan's work.  I don't know what HJ's
> constraints are, so I don't know if it will suit HJ.  If I was trying
> to develop a single-tree cross environment, I wouldn't do it the way
> HJ seems to be doing it.  Perhaps HJ can explain more?

1. I want to be able to build it as a normal user.
2. It shouldn't fail in the middle of a 3 hour build just because I am
not root. I can live with an error message during configure if root is
really required. But it should tell me what to do in order to build it
as a normal user.
3. It shouldn't require $(build_tooldir)/sys-include has to exist. I
only have $(build_tooldir)/include and $(build_tooldir)/lib, similar
to my native glibc setup.

H.J.