glibc 2.1 and gabi

H . J . Lu hjl@lucon.org
Thu Jul 20 21:15:00 GMT 2000

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 08:27:31PM -0700, Geoff Keating wrote:
> > 2.2 is ok. The linker may not know what the runtime linker will do
> > when it sees a known dtag. As more and more new features are added to
> > those new dtags, glibc may need them to work correctly.
>
> I know I _can_ use it, but when do I _have_ to use it?  What would go
> wrong if the linker never emitted any of these tags?

The reason I added the support is Ulrich wanted DF_1_NODELETE for
libpthread.so. Without it, libpthread.so loaded in via dlopen may
get unloaded by dlclose which will cause problems. Basically, those
new dtags give DSO developers new flexibility and control over DSOs.
You can take a look at

http://docs.sun.com:80/ab2/coll.45.13/LLM/@Ab2PageView/21165?Ab2Lang=C&Ab2Enc=iso-8859-1

to see what you can use. But you will need support from ld.so for any
new features. Ulrich just added the support for DF_1_NODELETE and
DF_1_NOOPEN to glibc 2.2. You can use them on DSOs. I can see
DF_1_INTERPOSE, DF_1_LOADFLTR and DF_1_NODEFLIB be useful to me
in some cases.

H.J.