ld -Ttext 0x80000 causes ld.so segfault on ppc-unknown-linux-gnu

Alan Modra alan@linuxcare.com.au
Sun Jul 9 00:04:00 GMT 2000

On 8 Jul 2000, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

>    I started playing with this a little and discoverd a silly bug in the
>    "--section-start SECTION=ADDR", fixed with the patch later in this
>    email.
>
> I don't see why this patch is needed.  getopt will set optarg to point
> to argv.  argv will not change until the program returns from main.
> Of course, it doesn't do any harm.

The old code played tricks like this:

	    optarg2[-1] = '\0';

	    /* Then set it...  */
	    set_section_start (optarg, optarg2);

	    optarg2[-1] = '=';

set_section_start then set up the appropriate linker statements, but
there wasn't any copy of the name.  We ended up with a
lang_address_statement with section_name pointing to something like
".init=0x80000".

Regards, Alan Modra
--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.