QNX Neutrino (new targets, GPL)

Ian Lance Taylor ian@zembu.com
Wed Jul 5 13:12:00 GMT 2000

   Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 13:14:34 +0200 (MET_DST)
   From: Anders Norlander <anorland@acc.umu.se>

   I contacted QNX about their tools since it would be dumb to duplicate the
   effort of porting the tools (and they probably have some knowledge that I
   don't). But QNX refuses to publish the source code for the modified tools.
   They claim it will eventually be available by CVS and that in the meantime
   the sources have been put in the hands of the FSF. I don't know if that is
   true, but I do know that they are intentionally violating the GPL. They
   are aware of the implications of the GPL and they have been distributing
   binutils and GCC binaries for a long time, without any source code.

When I look at the QNX web site, I see this:

    QNX Software Systems is committed to providing the source code for
    all GNU utilities (and other software subject to the GPL) which it
    distributes. Such utilities include awk, rcs, gmake, gzip, and
    sed. If you can't find the GNU source code you are looking for
    under the free software area, please contact freesoft@qnx.com and
    we will make a copy available.

This is on
    http://www.qnx.com/cgi-bin/dir_find.cgi?/usr/free/

If you have downloaded a binary compiled from GNU code from QNX, and
they will not provide the source code, then they are violating the
GPL.  You implied that you did that, but you didn't explicitly state
it.  Can you confirm that you have done that?  Which binary was it,
and how did you download it?

Ian