powerpc-eabi-ld bug

Peter Popov ppopov@redcreek.com
Thu Jan 20 20:57:00 GMT 2000

I'm using a powerpc-eabi cross compiler which I built
from gcc-2.95.2 and binutils-2.9.1.  My linker script
is rather simple and the bss section looks like this:

        .bss :
        {
        . = ALIGN(32);
        Bbss = .;
        *(.sbss) *(.scommon)
        *(.dynbss)
        *(.bss)
        *(COMMON)
        Ebss = .;
        } > sdram

The problem I'm running into is that gnu ld is giving the
same exact address to two distinctly separate sbss variables
which reside in different files.  The names of the variables are different
and I'm clueless as to what the problem might be.  Since the variables
have the same address, one ends up clobbering the other.  If I make
one of the variables static to that file, the problem goes
away.  Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.
Please reply directly since I'm not on the list.

Sincerely,

Pete