PATCH BFD section load page support

Timothy Wall twall@tiac.net
Fri Jan 14 18:55:00 GMT 2000

Now I remember why I didn't extend "OVERLAY".

OVERLAY takes a given defined region of memory and puts any number of sections
within it, much like the "union" construct in C.  This presumes that all of
your "overlay" memory regions are identical.

In the case of the C54x (and numerous other DSPs), the memory regions which are
"overlaid" may have no resemblance at all to one another.  For instance, here
is the layout of one particular configuration, showing PAGE 0 and PAGE 1, which
have several memory "regions" within them.  It is usually desired to make
optimum use of *all* memory regions; note that the OVERLAY mechanism doesn't
apply very well in this case, because the address ranges that are "overlaid"
have different ranges on the different pages.  Applying a "page" extension to
memory regions, however, fits this model quite nicely.

Program memory (PAGE 0)
0x0000-0x007F external
0x0080-0x13FF on-chip DARAM
0x1400-0x8FFF external