dynamic linking with a.out

Corey Brenner coreybrenner@yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 08:32:00 GMT 2000


Hello,

During some work I've been doing with binutils, I've
found it desirable to be able to do a.out/PIC.  Is
there support for doing that in the newest binutils?

What I'm running into is this: the assembler doesn't
know how to do relocations for BFD_RELOC_386_GOT32,
BFD_RELOC_386_PLT32, and BFD_RELOC_386_GOTOFF when
assembling to an a.out target.  I'm assuming that this
works with ELF (though I've not yet tested it).  I'm
pleased to report, though, that building a.out static
binaries works like a charm, though.

Might this be an issue of retargeting gcc to make it
generate different relocation directives to gas?

Also, I've run into a situation where, in an older
version of gas, it was legal to do "jmp %edx" (this
is an i386 target), but with a version about a month
old, the assembler complains that the operand (%edx)
is invalid.  Is there a way to jump to a register
(to do, say, function-call return)?  If not, I'm
assuming that gcc is the place I'd look to re-engineer
the way the stack is laid out when function calls are
made and returned from?

Thanks for any help you might render, it is greatly
appreciated.

--Corey
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Talk to your friends online with Yahoo! Messenger.
http://messenger.yahoo.com


More information about the Binutils mailing list