Remove alignment value check in gasp

Ian Lance Taylor ian@zembu.com
Tue Feb 29 17:20:00 GMT 2000

   Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 17:16:06 -0800
   From: Nick Clifton <nickc@cygnus.com>

     Unless anyone objects I plan to check in the following patch
     tomorrow.  All it does is to remove the code in GASP that checks to
     see if the .align directive has been given an argument of 1, 2 or 4,
     This test is, I believe, bogus, since the .align directive takes a
     power-of-two as its argument and, for example ".align 3" is a valid
     alignment directive.

Sometimes the .align directive takes a power of 2, and sometimes it
takes a byte count.  gasp basically just passes it through to the
assembler.  Perhaps removing the check is right, because gasp can't
know how the assembler will interpret it.  Alternatively, perhaps gasp
should present a unified model and pass it through as .p2align.

Actually, I don't care at all about gasp, and I think we should remove
it from a future binutils release.  These days gasp has no feature
which is not in gas itself.

Ian