[patch] ld/Error reporting when commons are different sizes.

Nick Clifton nickc@cygnus.com
Fri Feb 25 10:52:00 GMT 2000

Hi Catherine,

: I would like to submit the following  patch for inclusion in ld.
: This patch will cause an error message to be generated when commons
: of different sizes are merged.  The previous behavior was to
: generate a warning message.

Err was it ?  I think that the previous behaviour was to ignore these
potential problems unless '--warn-common' has been specified on the
command line.

: A new option, --no-error-common-size will cause the error to be
: reported as a warning.

Except that I think that it will not.  All --no-error-common-size will
do is disable producing an error message if commons of different sizes
are merged.  In order to get the warnings produced, it is still
necessary to add --warn-common.

My only real concern with this patch however, is whether having the
error enabled by default will break building things like libraries or
third party software that currently builds just fine.  Have you tried
linking the C and C++ libraries to rela programs with a linker that
has this patch applied ?