Patch to allow targets to prevent inlining

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Tue Feb 15 09:16:00 GMT 2000

    Nick> OK, you win.  But since adding a naked attribute the to
    Nick> generic part of gcc would increase the overall complexity of
    Nick> the compiler, I doubt it I would be able to persuade the
    Nick> steering committee to accept it unless several more ports
    Nick> wanted the feature.  Hmm, mnaybe we could start a campaign
    Nick> :-)

I'm not on the steering committee.  But, I think this would be a
useful feature in general -- if I understand `naked' correctly to mean
a function without a prologue or epilogue.  For example, thunks in C++
could then be represented as ordinary functions, not with assembly
code.

However, I'm not convinced that such things should never be inlined,
in the abstract.  What I'm convinced of is that GCC can't handle
inlining them at the moment.  So, the documentation for `naked'
functions should explicitly say that they might be inlined in a future
release, etc., etc.