Binutils repository freeze is (finally!) over

Jason Molenda jsm@cygnus.com
Mon Feb 7 03:16:00 GMT 2000

On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 12:06:50PM +0100, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> |>     cvs -z9 -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/src co binutils

> This does not work.  It will check out the tree under src/binutils/...,
> not the directory I want (binutils/...), causing a full checkout.

I think you are mistaken.  Previously, you would do

 % cvs -z9 -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/binutils co binutils

And you'd get a tree that looked like this:

  binutils
  binutils/binutils
  binutils/libiberty
  binutils/bfd

Now, you do the above command and you'll get

  src
  src/binutils
  src/libiberty
  src/bfd

If you compare the contents (which I have about half a dozen times now :-),
there is no difference except the name of the top level directory.

When you do the "checkout binutils", the "binutils" is a cvs module.
Previously it was a plain directory.  The change was necessary to have
a single repository where we had several packages that go together,
yet can be worked on checked out separately so you don't need to check
out all of gdb (it's huge) just to get the sources to objcopy.

Jason