The problem with linkonce sections in ELF

Ian Lance Taylor ian@zembu.com
Tue Feb 1 13:39:00 GMT 2000

   Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 13:35:06 -0800
   From: "H . J . Lu" <hjl@valinux.com>

   On Tue, Feb 01, 2000 at 04:24:50PM -0500, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

   > Leaving a hole in the address space is clearly a bug.  Your patch
   > should not be necessary.  Why are these sections being created with a
   > non-zero size, and then being removed?  That makes no sense.

   I was given some .o files with .rel.text sections and linker
   removes them when generating DSO with -Bsymbolic.

.rel.text section normally hold relocations.  The linker expects them
to do so.  Do these .rel.text sections hold relocations?  If they do,
then naturally the linker will remove them, just as it removes all
relocation sections.

The .rel.text sections which appear in the default linker scripts are
intended to handle newly created .rel.text section, for relocations
which must be copied into the shared library.

Ian