Question for gld on SGI

Koundinya.K kk@ddeorg.soft.net
Thu Dec 14 03:48:00 GMT 2000

Related to your question, here is something that  Mark Mitchell
<mark@codesourcery.com> had to say sometime back. I really don't
know what has happened after that as I have off following these
issues from sometime. Probably he will be able to comment on
this. Mark ??

Koundinya

mark@codesourcery.com said:
-> The `gcc -static' flag doesn't work on IRIX 6.5.  There are two
-> reasons:

->   - We try to link against some non-existant objects in
->     /usr/lib32/nonshared.  There's no such beasty.

->   - We pass -non_shared to the linker, but that really doesn't work.
->     IRIX just isn't into non-shared objects.  For example, there's
->     no crt1.o on the system that is non-PIC, which is what
->     -non_shared means to IRIX ld.

-> The documentation for GCC -static says:

->      On systems that support dynamic linking, this prevents linking
->      with the shared libraries.  On other systems, this option has no
->      effect.

-> I think we should either make this have no effect on IRIX, or make it
-> use -Bstatic to try to find archives, rather than libraries, but not
-> use -non_shared, since that just doesn't work.  Thoughts?