--gc-sections and C library linkage issues (?)

Ulrich Drepper drepper@redhat.com
Thu Aug 24 21:09:00 GMT 2000

Alan Modra <alan@linuxcare.com.au> writes:

> I don't particularly like a).  Adding support in gas/config/obj-elf.c for
> a "k" section attribute letter and corresponding "keep" section attribute
> word is trivial.  The only tricky thing to decide is whether such an
> attribute needs to appear in the elf section flags (ie. needs a new SHF_
> flag), or should just affect the BFD section flags.  I'm inclined to think
> there is no need for a new SHF_ flag.

The revised ELF gABI includes support for section groups.  This allows
to say that sections from the group are removed either all or none.
This is what I meant by saying "use --gc-sections when it's
implemented".  If somebody wants to do it in BFD, fine.  Otherwise it
has to wait until the new implementation is available.