Changes to gas/write.c and others break the ia32 assembler

H . J . Lu hjl@lucon.org
Wed Aug 23 08:17:00 GMT 2000

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 08:19:30AM -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Aug 23, 2000, Alexandre Oliva <aoliva@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> >> -#if defined (OBJ_ELF) || defined (OBJ_COFF) || defined (TE_PE)
> >> +#if (defined (OBJ_MAYBE_ELF) || defined (OBJ_ELF) || defined (OBJ_COFF)) && !defined (TE_PE)
>
> FYI, I'm checking this in, under the ``obviously correct'' rule, to
> get us closer to the original behavior.

Your change is still wrong in 2 acounts:

1. You missed OBJ_MAYBE_ELF. It is used for assembler configured for
more than one format in addition to ELF.
2. The original behavior is a constant, not a function. You are
changing the output on the same input, at least on PE. But we know
there are some problems with PE. We had to backout some patches.

Right now the ia32 assembler is broken, even with this patch. I don't
know if others are also broken.

H.J.