bfd_find_nearest_line vs local symbols

Michael Meissner meissner@cygnus.com
Fri Aug 18 17:43:00 GMT 2000

On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 05:26:04PM -0700, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2000 at 02:14:59PM -0700, Doug Evans wrote:
> > Should bfd_find_nearest_line ignore local symbols?
>
> No, since you'd break searching for a static function.
>
> > The simulators make use of this function to do source line
> > tracing and sometimes I see local symbols in the output (blech).
>
> In hand-written assembly or what?  Surely the ".L" type symbols
> that the compiler puts out never made it to the object file.

This usually happens when somebody hand writes assembly code and doesn't grok
what the local conventions are for symbols to be deleted (ie, 'L' vs. '.L'), or
translated it from another system.  Or for some reason assembles stuff with
-L.  I know in the past, I've used the capability of looking for local labels
in simulator output by purposing mashing the symbols to remove the .L.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304