how to handle Linux specific bits in ld/emultempl/elf32.em

Ian Lance Taylor ian@zembu.com
Wed Apr 26 11:53:00 GMT 2000

   Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 10:58:03 -0700
   From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>

   ld/emultempl/elf32.em contains the function
   gld${EMULATION_NAME}_check_ld_so_conf with a comment of:

       /* For a native linker, check the file /etc/ld.so.conf for directories
	  in which we may find shared libraries.  /etc/ld.so.conf is really
	  only meaningful on Linux.  */

   However this causes problems on FreeBSD where a
   gld${EMULATION_NAME}_check_ld_elf_hints function is needed.  "ld.so" is
   our a.out run-time link-editor.

   Should gld${EMULATION_NAME}_check_ld_elf_hints be added to elf32.em with
   it and gld${EMULATION_NAME}_check_ld_so_conf wrapped in a case statement
   triggering on `${target}'?  Or should both functions be moved to system
   specific files and conditionally "included"?

We don't really have a mechanism for moving functions to system
specific files.  We could do that if somebody were interested in
making it work.

I think it is OK to add another function wrapped in a ${target} case.

Ian