Appropriate place to add a check against linking object file formats of a given flavour

Michael Meissner meissner@redhat.com
Thu Apr 20 14:37:00 GMT 2000

I'm trying to fixup the alpha-gnulinux linker so that it gives a
reasonable error message when the user is attempting to link ELF
objects with ECOFF (as compared to the core dump that you now get due
to the elf tdata field being incorrect).  I find I'm flailing around
trying to patch the leak.  The bfd_arch_get_compatible function seems
to be a reaonable place, but I find most of the bfd structure has not
been set up when it is called (xvec in particular).  I also tried
putting the error in bfd_merge_private_data, but ldlang ignores all
bfd errors at that point.  So any thoughts of the proper place to put
this check, or even better, points to code that already does it.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions, a Red Hat company.
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304