patch to fix nm.c(print_object_filename_bsd) on FreeBSD

Michael Sokolov msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG
Wed Apr 19 12:54:00 GMT 2000

David O'Brien <obrien@NUXI.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 07:38:57AM -0500, Michael Sokolov wrote:
> >
> > I guess I'm the authority on this one, being the current maintainer of the
> > traditional VAX BSD.
>
> I disagree.  I would say the CSRG SCCS files are the authority.

Which, on the 4.3BSD Universe side of things, I am presently in charge of. See

http://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/Quasijarus/

> The CSRG
> defined what BSD is.

Note that I said traditional BSD. See the abovereferenced Quasijarus Project
page for the description of how under Bostic's revisionist leadership CSRG
deviated from the Traditional UNIX mission after 4.3BSD-Tahoe.

I picked up the True BSD torch from where CSRG dropped it in 1988 (7 years
before its final official disbanding) on a mission to bring back 4.3BSD, and
did so with some big help from Marshall Kirk McKusick. I then assumed full
maintainership of 4.3BSD. Part of it was erasing all traces of BosticBSD ever
existing and turning history back to the point before Bostic took over CSRG and
led it to its demise. Thanks to him deciding it wasn't worth saving CSRG's tape
archives, which went to landfill when Computer Science moved from Evans to Soda
at Berkeley, it was difficult to the extreme. You can read about it in the
Quasijarus Project pages. In short, I currently have the CSRG SCCS tree as it
existed before Bostic's revisionism, and I'm actively working on it (checking
in new deltas).

I don't know how much would Marshall Kirk McKusick or over ex-CSRGers agree
with me, and I'm not expecting them to agree with me about Bostic ruining CSRG
and BSD, but Kirk definitely does seem to like where my project is going.

> If you have CSRG sources [...]

Of course I do! What I define to be the current new CSRG source, i.e.,
everything from the Beginning around 1980 till the Turning Point plus what I
and my group have added in Quasijarus Project, is the active source in
/usr/src on luthien.Harhan.ORG, the machine that has succeeded
monet.Berkeley.EDU and okeeffe.Berkeley.EDU as the CSRG Mill. For reference
purposes I also keep the final image of CSRG's /usr/src on the now-dead Bostic
branch that was disbanded together with CSRG itself in 1995. I keep it in /fsrc
on luthien mounted read-only.

> you will see that the
> output my patch causes has been depended on by BSD since 1990/03/20.

But that date was after the Turning Point and thus is not Traditional BSD.

> CSRG rev 4.8 output agrees with your output.
>     ----------------------------
>     revision 4.8
>     date: 1987/04/07 17:25:35;  author: bostic;  state: Exp;  lines: +264 -231
>     bug report 4.2BSD/bin/31 (well, that's how it started...)
>     ----------------------------

4.8 is indeed the nm.c delta at the top of the current 4.3BSD-Quasijarus SCCS
tree.

BTW, I don't appreciate you converting our SCCS tree into RCS format. I view it
as sacrilege. ("Our" collectively refers to me, my Quasijarus Project team, and
the CSRG team predating the Turning Point.)

> It is my understanding that ``nm'' going all the way back to the AT&T
> code on the PDP-11 behaved as per my patch.

If necessary I'll check, but I would strongly doubt it. 4.3BSD has always been
100% faithful to V7, which is why I consider it True Pure UNIX, but not 4.4BSD,
FreeBSD, NetBSD, Linux, or SysVile.

> [I am assuming CSRG rev 5.1
> (date: 1988/10/22 16:08:00;  author: bostic;  state: Exp; Initial
> revision) is the 4.3BSD version]

No. The original 1986 4.3BSD tape for 780s, 750s, and 8600s had nm.c version
4.7. The currently shipping 4.3BSD-Quasijarus distributions, which support a
wider range of VAX CPUs, have nm.c version 4.8, as did CSRG's 4.3BSD-Tahoe tape
for CCI Power 6/32.

> The author of the BSD bits (Keith Bostic) defined BSD's nm
> to output as per my patch.  Thus it should be fixed in the Souceware CVS
> sources.

But Ian said he wanted it to be like in *traditional* BSD.

--
Michael Sokolov		Harhan Engineering Laboratory
Public Service Agent	International Free Computing Task Force

Phone: +1-214-824-7693 (Harhan Eng Lab office)
E-mail: msokolov@ivan.Harhan.ORG (ARPA TCP/SMTP) (UUCP coming soon)

(P.S. I myself don't care how you guys decide to do it in GNU nm. Ian simply
mentioned traditional BSD, and I as its current maintainer feel that I should
make it clearer what it is.)