Demangler update?

H . J . Lu hjl@lucon.org
Fri Apr 14 10:00:00 GMT 2000

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 09:07:38AM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> The mangling scheme does change over time, and it can change with each
> release of the compiler.  In practice new manglings seem to get added
> pretty often.
>
> The binutils and gcc are not released in synch.  If you have a new
> compiler, an older binutils may well be unable to demangle the names
> generated by the new compiler.
>
> The fix is to have the compiler provide a demangling program (it
> already does, in fact) and to have the binutils simply use it.

As I have pointed out before, it may not work every well with
more than one version/release of C++ compilers, depending
on how c++filt is installed. When you type "c++filt", you may
not get the "c++filt" you want. c++filt should be installed just
like cc1plus and invoked by g++/c++ only. However, it still
doesn't solve the problem for gdb and binutils.

H.J.