Binutils bug-reporting

Alan Modra alan@linuxcare.com.au
Sun Apr 2 05:07:00 GMT 2000

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Philippe De Muyter wrote:

> For the sake of internationalization, would it not be better to split that
> into `Report bugs to %s' and the address part ?

Hmm.  I'll change the patch to

#define REPORT_BUGS_TO   _("Report bugs to bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org")
and
fprintf (stream, REPORT_BUGS_TO);

Looks cleaner in the fprintf, and also can be very easily changed as
you suggest.  I can't see any benefit though in splitting the string.
I suppose it might trim the size of po files a little (at the expense of
slightly larger executables).  Surely translators don't need a cue to
"translate this phrase, but not this url"?  Enlighten me if there's some
other reason.

Regards, Alan Modra

--
Linuxcare.  Support for the Revolution.