strange compile problem
Roland McGrath
rolandATfrob.com
Mon Sep 13 12:53:00 GMT 1999
On the other hand, I see that bfd_stat is the only thing in bfd.h that
incurs the wrath of _FILE_OFFSET_BITS. The only other related concern is
off_t vs `file_ptr', which has been circumvented already by just always
using `long int' for `file_ptr'. As long as the internal conversions to
whatever type off_t is happen properly, I think that is fine. I mean,
anyone on the list wanted to operate on a file >=2GB with BFD so far in life?
That being the case, I'd be most inclined to just punt bfd_stat from the
interface entirely. If anyone needs to do that, it's much simpler to
provide a function that returns the fd (or FILE *) they can stat themselves.
Naturally that opens the door to people doing stupid things with that fd
behind BFD's back, but I am certainly willing to say "don't do that" (just
as you can't diddle much with an fd behind stdio's back and expect life not
to go to hell).
More information about the Binutils
mailing list