Interesting issue

Ian Lance Taylor ian@zembu.com
Thu Oct 14 12:37:00 GMT 1999

   Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:44:11 -0600
   From: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>

   One of the outstanding problems is "static linking" on hpux11 really just
   means use .a libraries instead of .sl libraries -- we still need to create
   dynamic sections & relocs and all the stuff we do for dynamic links.

   The problem (of course) is -static for gld means really do a static link,
   no .dynamic section or dynamic relocs, etc etc etc.

Actually, it doesn't.  As far as I know, -static really just affects
the search path.  If you compile a .o with -fpic, ld typically has to
build a procedure linkage table and so forth.

ld should create a .dynamic section if it needs one.  Currently it
thinks it needs one if you linked against a shared library.

Ian