Building cross development tools...

Ian Lance Taylor ian@zembu.com
Sat Nov 20 11:45:00 GMT 1999

   Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 11:15:29 -0500
   From: Scott Bambrough <scottb@netwinder.org>

   >    When I build binutils with --prefix=/usr --host=i586-unknown-linux-gnu
   >    --target=arm-linux on x86 and install I  get the following files
   >    installed:

   > The files in /usr/include don't matter, because they are the same on
   > all systems.  Same with /usr/lib/libiberty.a.

   Yeah, I figured that about the headers, but wouldn't libiberty.a contain
   ARM code in this case?  That would screw up the native build environment
   too I would think.  The static lib with x86 code would be overwritten.

libiberty depends only upon the host, not upon the target.  It won't
contain any ARM code.

The same is true of libbfd.a and libopcodes.a.  What is different
about them is that they will only contain support for ARM objects, not
for native objects, unless you configure with an appropriate
--enable-targets option.

Ian