libiberty...

Scott Bambrough scottb@netwinder.org
Fri Nov 19 14:27:00 GMT 1999

Philip Blundell wrote:

> Well yes, but that's not impossible to fix.  You just need to use mprotect and
> sys_cacheflush in the appropriate places.  It's ugly and will be bad for
> performance, but it can be made to work.  The only reason it doesn't at the
> moment is laziness -- nobody has wanted the functionality bad enough to
> actually write the code.

Actually no.  The golden rule when Pat and I were doing things was code
cannot be written.  Appears the rule is somewhat tarnished. :)  This is
our mistake, it just has taken a long time to realize this.

> (Actually, given that -fPIC consumes an extra general purpose register for the
> GOT pointer, you could even make some sort of a case for saying that some
> performance-critical shared libraries might be better compiled without.)

Ha.  That's possible I suppose.  As long as the library is not used to
often.  The more instances the more memory it will consume.

Scott

--
Scott Bambrough - Software Engineer
REBEL.COM    http://www.rebel.com