Variable page size for ELF

Richard Henderson rth@cygnus.com
Sun Jul 11 15:11:00 GMT 1999

On Sun, Jul 11, 1999 at 01:22:51PM -0700, H.J. Lu wrote:
> 1. Some OSes do support variable page size. IRIX is one of them. But
> you need some way to tell the system what page size you want. It is
> possible that one day Linux will support variable page size on
> platforms where the hardware support is available.

What has this to do with the maximum architectural page size?
Which is what's supposed to be used in BFD.  That maximum is
specified by the IA64 spec as 64K.

> 2. IA32 has 4K page size. But we may want to use a different page size
> for IA32 binaries when run them under IA64.

No, you can't do that.  All sorts of existing programs will break,
and the whole point of such non-native emulation is to not break
old programs.

> 3. The page size of Linux/IA64 may change due to various reasons. It
> will be helpful to change page size via linker command line.

Again, no.  The value in BFD is the _maximum_ architectural page
size.  By arranging binaries this way, we free the operating system
to choose _any_ architecturally supported page size.

r~