ld/configure.host has hardcoded gcc

Ian Lance Taylor ian@zembu.com
Wed Aug 18 10:29:00 GMT 1999

   From: Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de>
   Date: 18 Aug 1999 12:25:30 +0200

   ld/configure.host hardcodes the compiler under the name gcc.  Shouldn't
   that rather be ${CC}?  Background: the default gcc is egcs-2.91.66, but
   I'm compiling with /usr/local/i686-linux/bin/gcc, which is gcc 2.96 (the
   latest cvs version).  The latter requires for C++ a new function from
   libgcc (__rethrow), which egcs-2.91.66 doesn't define yet.  Thus linking a
   C++ program against egcs-2.91.66/libgcc.a fails.  This causes spurious
   failures in the testsuite.

configure.host uses gcc rather than ${CC} so that it will, in
principle, work on a system which has both gcc and a non-gcc C
compiler.  That is, you might run the tests on Solaris with CC set to
the SunPRO cc, with gcc also installed.  The tests would then link
against the gcc startup files and libgcc, but that would be OK.

This probably wouldn't really work in practice, though.  I think it's
fine to change gcc to ${CC}.  It's only for testing anyhow.

Ian