elf32-mips breaks binary compatibility

Ralf Baechle ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Tue Aug 17 15:13:00 GMT 1999

On Tue, Aug 17, 1999 at 02:11:01AM -0400, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> Yes, but the argument is that it will never have a date in 1970, and
> that only that date will trigger special behaviour by the dynamic
> linker.

It's impractical to tag old binaries, so therefore we have to tag new
ones.  So if Jakub goes and actually implements some Quickstart like
mechanism not both can use this tag at the same time.

I think I have some better mechanism for the dynamic linker to detect
this problem without any tag at all.  I'll work on that tomorrow and
checkout if it's actually implementable.

  Ralf