COFF/PE gas regression: bug

Ian Lance Taylor ian@airs.com
Wed Mar 31 10:24:00 GMT 1999

   Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 10:17:55 -0700
   From: Donn Terry <donn@interix.com>

   I believe the gas testsuite has a bad test, as follows:  In
   testsuite/gas/all/gas.exp, one of the tests is for structure tags
   (see cofftag*).  It creates the symbol _operator as
   storage class 16 (MOE), type 11 (0xb, MOE).  According to
   the best COFF standard I have (which is no longer on
   the web that I can find, but was on SCO's website):
   "A special section number (-2) marks symbolic debugging symbols,
   including structure/union/enumeration tag names...".
   (Microsoft's PE documentation agrees, but isn't quite as
   explicit.)  (DJ's machine is not responding at the moment.)

   The test expects a value of -1 (Absolute symbol), which according
   to the above is incorrect.

The best approach for something like this is to see what the tools on
some other COFF system do.  Can anybody try assembling
gas/testsuite/gas/all/cofftag.s on a native COFF system?

Ian