[patch by Michael Matz] Re: archer gdb and gcc 4.1 global namespace DIE

Sami Wagiaalla swagiaal@redhat.com
Thu May 14 20:38:00 GMT 2009

> Pure paranoia that the compiler might not optimize this to the separate
> instructions (and in that case I would feel the call overhead in this
> presumably not-too-cold code path to be too large).  I have that paranoia
> even though I'm a compiler engineer.  Or maybe because of it :)

Totally understandable. I dont trust debuggers the way I used to :)

> It's probably better to use strcmp anyway, right ;)

Okay I have used strcmp and pulled the patch into my branch:

   1c9be9e4055903bca3fc335189139b67ddb3cdd8

I will will test it with gcc 44 just to be sure. Then I will cherry it
to archer-jankratochvil-fedora-merge.

Thanks for the patch. Please let us know of bugs you find. I am
personally interested in these expression evaluation bugs.

Sami