[python][rfc] Attempt to print the base class if a there is no Python pretty-printer for a derived class.

Phil Muldoon pmuldoon@redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 18:28:00 GMT 2009

Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:

>> Looking pretty good :)
>>
>> Phil> +  /* Attempt to run the Python pretty-printers on the base class of
>> Phil> +  the derived class. */
>>

> I can't tell whether the patch would work for 'class X: public Y ...'

It will. I really should have appended my working examples, but decided
not too. I know better next time ;)

> Also, here is an earlier thread on the same subject:
> http://sourceware.org/ml/archer/2008-q4/msg00503.html

I've nothing really to add to what Tom already mentioned. But as
printer selection criteria for a value is now pretty much deferred to
the printers themselves, the circumstances discussed in that thread
changed. In this case it was just easier to add a last-chance effort in
the c++ class GDB printer itself.  You can always write a base-class
test which is more specialized in the Python printer  by mining the
fields for base classes.

Regards

Phil