RE: Automated generation of HTML file --> CHM file

If you generate html, then you can use Microsoft's html help workshop to
compile your html files into a .chm

As an aside: with .Net there is an xml format for help files.

To generate a .chm you need to generate 4 types of files, in my
experience.
	1. A .hhk file which is a html file with the .hhk extension
which Microsoft uses for the index with a lot of markup like the
following:

<OBJECT type="text/site properties"><param name="FrameName"
value="current"></OBJECT><LI><OBJECT type="text/sitemap"><param
name="Name" value="COVER">
<param name="Local" value="enhelpfile.htm"></OBJECT></LI>
<LI><OBJECT type="text/sitemap"><param name="Name" value="Welcome to
ContexMLIDAOQWS">
<param name="Local" value="ENContextMLWelcome.htm"></OBJECT></LI>

-- here I'm using something from an old project of mine, sorry if it
sucks -

	2. A .hhc file which is a list of the contents involved with
very similar markup to the .hhk file

	3. the files that you will be including in your help file.

	4. a .hhp file which is a text file describing what you have in
your html help project, hence the initials. The .hhp starts off with a
list of html files compiled

ENItniskWelcome.htm
ENIdea.htm
ENAboutItnisk.htm
ENIdea.htm
ENWordToXml.htm

Followed by a bunch of options after the notice

[OPTIONS]

Compatibility=1.1 or later

Compiled file=MediaMaxx.chm

Contents file=MediaMaxx.hhc

Default topic=ENItniskWelcome.htm

Display compile progress=No

Full text search stop list file=MediaMaxx.stp

Full-text search=Yes

Index file=MediaMaxx.hhk

Language=0x406 Danish

Title=ContexML

The .stp file is the file of words you don't want to be
searched/indexed.

I went so far into this rather off-topic subject here because I have
found there is absolutely no worthwhile documentation out there(not to
say this was worthwhile just a quick starter) There are of course
tutorials etc. on the subject but I have found them to be so paltry
they're hardly even worth keeping copies of in my library.
But probably one of the better sites for info would be
http://www.helpware.net/
Here's some stuff on the comparison of the old help system and .net help
http://www.helpware.net/FAR/help/msh2_primer.htm