maintaining pointer to original doc

Hi,

I'm attempting to create an xml sub-tree from an xml doc using copy-of.
I'm running a transform and I get the subtree but if I make changes on
this subtree doc it has no impact on the original doc. I assume that it's
because I'm using copy-of. Is there another way of getting a subtree without
loosing access to the original doc thru the subtree doc?

Thanks,
Bruce