Calling a java function and returning a NodeList

Can i return a Nodelist or a Node from a Java function to a XSL.
I want to return the Node or Nodelist using JAXP and not go with any specific XML Parser. I learnt that saxon needs NodeList built using its own parser. Is there any way around?. I want my java code and xsl fully compiant with JAXP and Trax API.

Regards
Jagannathan R.