can I give xsl:number a starting position?

Hi All,

I would like to use xsl:number to handle section numbering in my
document, but I need to tell it a section number to start with (i.e. not
1). Can someone tell me if there is an easy way to do this? I was trying
the following -

<xsl:number count="chapter|h1|h2|h3|h4" format="1.1.A.1.A"
level="multiple"/>

This works fine, but always starts at 1.1.A.1.A. I tried setting format
to the section that I want it to start, but that didn't work. At the
moment, I'm thinking that I'll need to write some convoluted code using
position() for each section number, but I thought I'd try and post this
and see if anyone else has solved this problem before reinventing the
wheel :-).

Basically, my problem is that I have an XML document that's been chunked
up into smaller pieces. I need to convert each of those pieces to HTML
separately, with the correct section numbers. In my case, I am doing
this by running some Java code that uses JAXP to call the transform (and
set a parameter for the XSL with the correct starting section number).
My thinking is that I can use the param in my XSL as a starting position
to xsl:number (maybe something like the following) -

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
  xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";

<xsl:output indent="yes" method="html" omit-xml-declaration="no"
encoding="ISO-8859-1"
  doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"

doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";
/>

<xsl:param name="starting_section" />

<xsl:number count="chapter|h1|h2|h3|h4" format="$starting_section"
level="multiple"/>

However, since I can't get it to work with a hard coded value, I haven't
added the code for the starting_section param

Thanks for any and all feedback,

Jeff Rosler
Consultant
Flatirons Solutions Corp