From: James Fuller [mailto:james.fuller@o-idev.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 2:01 PM
To: xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
Subject: RE: [xsl] javax.xml.transform throwing up data?

uhhh what XSLT processor u using ?

> <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

smells like saxon, there

here is a quote from Mr. Kay himself
I think you'll find that in the HTML specification, META is one of the
tags that is "self-closing", so this output is valid HTML. It's not
valid XML, and XML Spy is presumably complaining because it expects
valid XML. Saxon allows you to generate XHTML output (xsl:output
method="saxon:xhtml") which should solve the problem if that's what you
want to do.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com

or this

=== Cut ===
The saxon:omit-meta-tag attribute
This attribute may be set on the xsl:output element when method="html". The
normal action of the HTML output method, as specified in the XSLT standard,
is to generate a <META> tag immediately after the <HEAD> tag, containing
details of the media type and character encoding. Setting this attribute to
"yes" causes this output to be suppressed. Typical usage is
<xsl:output method="html" saxon:omit-meta-tag="yes">
=== Cut ===

google is amazing isnt it, just typed 'xslt saxon meta tag'..............

> transform code
>
>         try {
>             javax.xml.transform.Source xmlSource = new
> javax.xml.transform.stream.StreamSource(job.getXmlFile());
>             javax.xml.transform.Source xsltSource = new
> javax.xml.transform.stream.StreamSource(job.getXslFile());
>             javax.xml.transform.Result result = new
> javax.xml.transform.stream.StreamResult(baos);
>             javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory transFact =
> javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory.newInstance();
>             javax.xml.transform.Transformer trans =
> transFact.newTransformer(xsltSource);

nice java code.........but still doesnt help me figure out your problem

> // first two line os xsl file
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
> version="1.0">

and the rest of the XSLT stylesheet, this only tells me what I know

a) u are using xslt, and since XSLT 2.0 is wd i would expect 1.0
b) XSLT is xml

the actual interesting element would have been xsl:output/

gl, jim fuller