From: Charles Knell [mailto:cknell@onebox.com]
Sent: 08 August 2002 16:02
To: xsl-list@lists.mulberrytech.com
Subject: Re: [xsl] XPath question

While VB is little off-topic, since I have some experience with it, I
thought I'd offer the benefit of it. Your question was along the lines
of "Why doesn't this work?":
> Set objNodeList =
> objXMLDoc.selectNodes("//DAvailability/DefaultAvail[@ResourceID =
> '$r_iResourceID]")

According to my copy of the MSXML SDK docs, the .selectNodes method takes
a string as its argument which will evaluate to an XPath expression.
I believe the operative word here is "string". If you are going to pass
a string and incorporate a variable's value, you have to use standard
VB string concatenation operators. Try this construct and let me know
if it works:

Set objNodeList =
 objXMLDoc.selectNodes("//DAvailability/DefaultAvail[@ResourceID =
 '" & $r_iResourceID & "']")

Note that the single quotes are enclosed in the double quotes so that
$r_iResourceID is between the concatenation operators with no intervening
quotation. If the value of $r_iResourceID is "26", the string in the
.selectNodes argument should evaluate to:

//DAvailability/DefaultAvail[@ResourceID = '26']

which is a proper XPath expression.

--
Charles Knell
cknell@onebox.com - email

The contents of this email and any attachments may be privileged or confidential, for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only and may not be disclosed or used in any way other than by the addressee(s). If you have  received this email in error please advise the sender and delete from your system.

Integrated Solutions Consultants Ltd are unable to guarantee the security of email content outside of our own systems where all emails and content are treated in accordance with the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000.

Further information about Integrated Solutions Consultants Ltd is available at http://www.isc.co.uk or mailto:info@isc.co.uk