RE: sending parameters with apply-templates doesn't work?

The syntax is valid and should work, but I think
you're running into problems because of document()
in the select -- this matches the root node of
the document in $querystr, *not* the bookmarkedcategories
nodes. Do you have a template
for the root node that also has the param?
Something like this:

<xsl:template match="/">
 <xsl:param name="selectedcategory">
 <xsl:apply-templates>
  <xsl:with-param name="selectedcategory" select="$selectedcategory"/>
 </xsl:apply-templates>
</xsl:templates>

If not, what is happening is that the param isn't getting
passed to the template for bookmarkedcategories.

Sara